Today marks a year of change for me, especially, but for us as a family. A year ago today I went to my holistic doctor for the first time, and my life was changed. I filled out the symptom sheet that day and had 395 mostly daily symptoms I was dealing with. After 6 months on the program I was down to 95, and I have a feeling I’d have even less if I took the test today. There have been many ups and many downs. I’ve had to kick myself back onto the program a time of two, I’ve fallen to temptation, and I’ve cried tears of frustration. However, it has all been worth it. I wouldn’t change this year for anything. For the first time in my life I know how to listen to my body. I am on a diet that is totally doable and is beneficial and is working for me and us as a family. When we started the program I was very overwhelmed by all the changes I knew we needed to make immediately, but also over time. I thought it would be helpful for me, and for you, to see all the things we do/use/eat differently now. This is our list so far. There are still things we are changing, and maybe next year I’ll write an update!
1. We only use butter, coconut oil and olive oil in the kitchen.
2. I eat NO wheat, corn, soy, oatmeal, and very little other grains. And my husband and kids have significantly reduced their grain intake.
3. We eat only organic eggs (Cora and I react to commercial eggs).
4. I make our own laundry detergent–money saver and works great!
5. We use only flouride-free toothpaste–I think my teeth feel cleaner too!
6. We have eliminated high fructose corn syrup in our diets completely.
7. We have greatly reduced our intake of dairy, this has helped the kids, David and myself tremendously, especially our sinuses!
8. We have been using sugar or honey only for sweeteners, and I hope to eliminate sugar as much as possible this next year.
9. We’re eating raw honey and WOW! So much more flavor!
10. We got rid of our Dish TV. Mainly to save money, but it was also to get us outside more and be more active rather than just sitting in front of the TV.
11. We have become more active as a family!
12. We eat primarily meat, fruits and veggies. We eat very little/no processed foods and I have had to become more creative in how we cook/bake things in the kitchen.
13. We bought shares in a CSA (community supported agriculture) this past summer/fall.
14. I make our own almond butter rather than us eating peanut butter.
15. I make our own hummus. Much cheaper than store-bought and I can control what goes into it!
16. David and I have both lost about 25 lbs. each and are both 2 sizes smaller now then we were a year ago!
17. We have been told numerous times how much healthier we look! We FEEL healthier too!
18. Aluminum free deodorant. We can’t even tell the difference. No, it’s not anti-persperant and we aren’t any sweatier than when we did use anti-persperant.
19. Tea Tree Oil–I use only tea tree oil for all of my cleaning. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic. Though my children would get belly aches if they drank it, it won’t kill them. I put about 1 tsp in a spray bottle, add water and us it to clean everything. I put about a Tbsp in a bucket of water to clean my floors. The scent is not strong, which we like, and I know it’s cleaning.
I’m sure there are other changes, but I can’t think of them right now! I’ll edit this as they come to me! It has been a year of change. When I started this program Ben was 4 months old, and I was a depressed woman who had no hope to ever live a normal life. And now? Ben is 16 months old, and I’m no longer a woman with no hope of having a healthy, normal life. I give the glory to God. I’m so thankful he put my holistic doctor in my path, and that he sent me to a doctor who is very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. I’m very thankful for my doctor, who took the time to listen to this crazy woman and didn’t just write me off. I’m thankful for his persistence at keeping me on the program. I know I wasn’t always an easy patient.
If you need to make changes in your life, whatever they are, DO IT! MAKE THEM! You will not regret it! You’ll have low times, but you’ll have a lot of high times too. It’s worth it. YOU are worth the changes that need to be made, and your family is worth it too! Don’t let another day go by without making the changes you know you need to make in your life!